Monday 27 July 2015

My First Time Solo Canoeing

27/7/15

We're currently on holiday in Thailand (my home country) for the summer. Yesterday, my dad took the whole family out canoeing on the River Kwai after finding his old canoe in my grandparents' house.

First, I went with my dad just around the river. He taught me how to do a J-stroke. This helps to keep the boat on course, because when paddling on just one side, the boat moves to the opposite side that you're paddling on, a J-stroke corrects this. I had already learned Indian stroke before and carried on doing this for a while.

My dad left the canoe and let me and my mum go alone. I sat in the front and steered whilst my mum paddled to help the boat gain some momentum. It was fun paddling with my mum! Next my dad told me to go solo. I was quite frightened as I had never been in a canoe alone before. However, after a while, I got used to it and actually did quite well.



No comments:

Post a Comment